Saturday, August 8

Teaching the Nature of Science Without a Textbook

One of the things I always want my students to understand is that Science is so much more than a list of facts to memorize. Before they can dive into topics like ecosystems, forces, cells, or space, I want them to understand the foundation of Science - how scientists observe, measure, analyze data, create models, and use evidence to explain the world around them.

The problem is that textbooks often don’t spend enough time on these important skills.

Most Science textbooks include a short section about the scientific method or a few pages about graphs and measurement, but these concepts are usually introduced quickly and then students are expected to apply them throughout the year. I found myself wanting my students to have a stronger understanding of how Science works before asking them to use these skills in labs, investigations, and real-world problem solving.

That is why I created my Nature of Science Booklet Foldable Bundle.

I wanted a resource that would allow my students to slow down, explore each concept, and build a strong foundation they could refer back to all year long without needing a textbook or a collection of extra resources.

This bundle includes everything you need to introduce students to the skills scientists use every day:

  • Observations
  • Scientific Measurement
  • Scientific Math Skills and Tools
  • Graphs
  • Scientific Method
  • Scientific Thinking
  • Scientific Models
  • Scientific Laws and Theories
  • Science and Society
Each topic includes an informational reading passage, comprehension questions, vocabulary practice, and a practice activity that students can add to their Science notebooks.

Another reason I love having this bundle ready to go is that it makes a great sub plan. When I am out of the classroom, I know my students can complete meaningful Science work independently without needing a textbook, extra materials, or complicated instructions for a substitute teacher.